Honda DN01 Forums -  International DN01 Motorcycle Community Forum

Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
howard2dot0

Default OIL indicator flashing

Greetings,
I changed oil, oil filter, and tranny filter around 1000 miles myself and when the odometer reached 3310 miles, the digital clock is replaced by the word, "OIL" flashing, but no oil warning lights. I followed the instructions in the manual and triple checked the oil level, then followed more instructions to reset it, but it didn't work. My local dealer says it is simply an oil change reminder indicator and there should be a sequence of steps to take to reset the indicator, which they didn't know.
Anyone have any inputs?

Howard
howard2dot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
spamer80

Send a message via ICQ to spamer80 Send a message via MSN to spamer80 Send a message via Skype™ to spamer80

Detecting condition of the oil level
When the ignition switch is turned ON, the TCM confirms that the oil level switch is ON or OFF to detect the engine oil level.
Oil level detection is only performed at the moment when the ignition switch is turned ON and the sidestand is retracted
(sidestand switch is closed). The condition under which the oil level is detected is that the oil temperature i s so •c (120 F)
minimum when the ignition switch is turned OFF and it has been four minutes or more since the ignition switch has been turned OFF and the current oil temperature is 35C (95F).
The TCM cannot detect the oil level if the engine is started with the sidestand lowered.
If the motorcycle has been repeatedly ridden for 2,500 km without detecting the oil level, "OIL" will be indicated in the trip meter as a warning to the rider .
spamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spamer80 For This Useful Post:
DNSarnia (06-18-2017), howard2dot0 (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
howard2dot0

Thank you so much for the info. Then, I just need to start the engine with the kick stand up and run it for 4 minutes for the indicator to disappear, correct?
howard2dot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
spamer80

Send a message via ICQ to spamer80 Send a message via MSN to spamer80 Send a message via Skype™ to spamer80

Yes. If not, you should check wiring, TCM, sidestand switch etc. Download Service Manual and look at the page 2-16
spamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
jdunker

Has anyone had this problem recently? I was half way home from a 150 mile trip and the clock started flashing OIL. I've tried everything that I've read on these threads and it's still flashing.
jdunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunker View Post
Has anyone had this problem recently? I was half way home from a 150 mile trip and the clock started flashing OIL. I've tried everything that I've read on these threads and it's still flashing.
What have you tried?
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:00 AM   #7
jdunker

I've checked the oil and it's not low. I ran it yesterday thru the neighborhood to get it warm and then sat in the driveway with it turned off and upright for about 10 minutes. I did not put the side stand down during that time. When I start it back up the oil indicator is still blinking. I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the side stand switch or it wouldn't allow me to put it into gear.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
sinclair48K

Its happened to me a few times because I got into the habit of starting with the side stand down. The few times I've had it, I've switched off the ignition and walked away. When I come back ten minutes later, I get on the bike, bring it upright, kick up the side stand and then, only then do i put the key in the ignition and turn it on, the OIL message then disappears.
sinclair48K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #9
DNSarnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclair48K View Post
Its happened to me a few times because I got into the habit of starting with the side stand down.
I always start mine with the side-stand down. Very rarely start it with the kickstand up - ready to ride. I've never had the oil like indicated as described here. Very Strange.
DNSarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
jdunker

After I got to work this morning, I went back to the bike after about 15 minutes. I stood it upright, put the kickstand up and then put the key in and started it. OIL continues to blink where the clock is. I followed the same process before leaving work and it's still blinking. I guess I'm going to have to take it to the shop.