Honda DN01 Forums -  International DN01 Motorcycle Community Forum

Old 03-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #11
DNSarnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Still on my original battery, 2009 DN-01, 21,796 miles, on 3/4 amp automatic battery charger/maintainer (Battery Maintainer 750 Superline Dura Boost), in non-heated garage, in Florida, when not riding.
Thanks Gizmo..... just how cold does your Non-heated garage get in Florida?
My point is we shouldn't have to worry about maintainers during the riding season for sure, and it's nice not to worry about them in the Winter. If you buy a new car, You don't even consider battery issues for at least 5 years - my bike's lasted 3 years if that.

My Shorai battery is the answer to my problems. I'm going on my forth riding season and I haven't so much as 'jumped' the battery or even 'recharged' it after a winter lay-up.

I have one also in my CX500 - even less use, it got rode about 700km last year, never charged, and in the spring - she fired right up.

We should be demanding better performance from all the battery manufacturers. The replacement lead-acid batteries are nothing but crap - imho.
DNSarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DNSarnia For This Useful Post:
Gizmo (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #12
Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSarnia View Post
Thanks Gizmo..... just how cold does your Non-heated garage get in Florida?
My point is we shouldn't have to worry about maintainers during the riding season for sure, and it's nice not to worry about them in the Winter. If you buy a new car, You don't even consider battery issues for at least 5 years - my bike's lasted 3 years if that.

My Shorai battery is the answer to my problems. I'm going on my forth riding season and I haven't so much as 'jumped' the battery or even 'recharged' it after a winter lay-up.

I have one also in my CX500 - even less use, it got rode about 700km last year, never charged, and in the spring - she fired right up.

We should be demanding better performance from all the battery manufacturers. The replacement lead-acid batteries are nothing but crap - imho.

I'm just saying that because of the "decent" weather, pretty much ALL year around in Florida, M/C lead-acid/sealed batteries, if kept on a maintainer, tend to "survive" longer.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #13
Gizmo

Default Battery change out

Battery FINALLY not holding a charge! The 'original' battery LASTED about 8+ years with sitting in a shipping container for a few months in 2012 after it had been bought. I had to get it jump-started when I bought it ... it was destined to be shipped to Europe because Dino were not selling here in the States. I rode it home and immediately put it on a charger. She lasted me another 5 years ... 8 years total on the original Yuasa battery. I believe my secret was using a low amperage (.750A) motorcycle charger/maintainer all those years.
Now I had to figure out how the hell to get to the battery to remove it! I was debating on whether or not to have the Honda dealership to change it because of ALL the plastic. But after paying 'a lot of money' for them to do the 24K mile scheduled service maintenance, I decide to see IF I could do it using just the owner's manual. 2+ hours later, I finally got the plastic off to get to the battery ... afraid of breaking the plastic! Changed the original for an aftermarket, XTREME AGM Extended Life (XTAZ14S) battery and put it on the charger. 2 hours later the battery still was NOT fully charged, so I switched out the charger for another identical charger and the charger 'green' light came on! Swapped the charger back and the original charger also showed 'green.' Decided to swap the chargers again because I was not too sure of the original charger on the 'new' battery. Battery read 12.9V with the 'green' light lit when I went to bed. The next morning, the battery read 12.4V after sitting on the charger (in the bike) for 6 hours. 2 hours later, the battery read 12.2V. Not sure about whether it was the 'new' battery or an electrical problem, I rode the bike to the battery store to put the bike on a battery/electrical system machine. The machine said that the battery WAS charged but low. I had bought the 'new' battery just 3 days before and had only put 24 miles on the bike with the remaining time on a charger. At the store (in the bike), the battery read 12.5V. The clerk said that they didn't have another one but 'found' another battery at a different store. He said that they would have it in a few hours and it would be 'FULLY' charged when I came to get it. The original 'new' battery had been in the back when I bought it and was 'only' about 80% charged, so he said. I then rode home and this time, it 'only' took me about '15' minutes to get the plastic off ... I did A LOT better with the plastic! The battery now read 12.7V (out of the bike) and dropped to 12.6V in a few hours. Went back (hours later) to the store and they had the 'other' battery BUT it HADN'T BEEN been put on a charger to verify a 'FULL' charge. What the hell was I dealing with there! Anyways, a different clerk 'FINDS' the EXACT same battery 'ON THE SHELF' in the front of the store that was 'FULLY' charged, at 13.2V. (I was only able to get the original 'new' battery to 12.9V!) For a business that does as much volume sales that they do, their inventory keeping SUCKS! This it the 5th battery I've bought from them over the years ... maybe I need to go somewhere else! I was just mad because of all the effort I had to go thru with Honda's idea of putting so much plastic on their toys! Anyways, I'm happy now ... the bike starts right up and the battery is KEEPING it's charge!

Last edited by Gizmo; 12-18-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
Rus

Conclusion: buy the original battery and forget the problem for 8 years
Gizmo (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #15
spamer80

Send a message via ICQ to spamer80 Send a message via MSN to spamer80 Send a message via Skype™ to spamer80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
I thought the same way. But leave the bike for 2 weeks and your battery won`t start it anymore. Forget to charge and your brand new battery is dead.
spamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:40 AM   #16
Rus

If I leave for two or more weeks, I turn off the battery power
And all is well
Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #17
Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post

Why didn't I think of that! Sound advice.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #18
DNSarnia

Default Sale on Lithium Ion Batteries

Shorai Power Lithium Ion Batteries on sale until Nov. 28.
code: FALL20

GO Here: https://shoraipower.com/?utm_source=...407a9-79743597

Brings the price down from $199.95 US to $159.96 US

Last edited by DNSarnia; 11-22-2017 at 05:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DNSarnia For This Useful Post:
Gizmo (11-24-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
DNSarnia

Rus suggested "buy the original battery and forget the problem for (another) 8 years"...

Unfortunately, at least in Canada - Even, if you go to your original dealer, and request an original battery, you will NOT receive the same kind or quality as what arrived in your motorcycle from Japan.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #20
Rus

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...TZ14S&_sacat=0
Gizmo (11-24-2017)