Honda DN01 Forums -  International DN01 Motorcycle Community Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
spamer80
Senior Member
 
spamer80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 270
Thanks: 23
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to spamer80 Send a message via MSN to spamer80 Send a message via Skype™ to spamer80
Default Unknown undescribed problem

I`ve recently filled my tank with BAD fuel. Motorcycle was delivered from the road to my garage and I started to check all. Changed fuel completely - still could not stard. Then I`ve found that my rear spark plug MELTED. Changed it with new one. No start. Cleaned injector and IACV and finally started.
BUT.
Now I can not go to D mode because the "-" indicator constantly blinking. There is no error codes. It`s just CONSTANTLY BLINKING
There is no descriptions about this in both service and owner`s manual.
The dealer does not know anything about this.
Can anyone ask dealer or someone else what does it means?

Last edited by spamer80; 07-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.
spamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
Overthehill
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Hi spamer80
Personally I cannot imaging what would cause a spark plug to "melt" but the fact that you could replace it and start the engine is promising.
If the indicator light is flashing at 7.5 second intervals that suggests that there are no codes stored.
For me, if you haven't already, initially I would disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes and reconnect and see if the "system" resets.
If that fails page 11-21 suggests there is a "fail safe function" which stops the bike from going into gear...worth a look.
Failing that, on pages 11-26/27 there are 7 possible causes for non operation of neutral/drive. 9-1(9), 9-2(9), 17-1(17), 19-1(19), 31-1(31), 41-1(41) and 42-2(42).
Finally, page 11-28 tells how/when to re-initialise HFT
Personally i don't see how dirty fuel could affect the HFT.
Perhaps the overheating/melting of the rear spark plug has caused the system to go into lock down as a safety precaution by creating a sensor trip (the fail safe on page 11-21).
I would go thru pages 24-25 just to be sure that all dtc's are cleared.
Hope you can get her back on the road soon
I don't believe how complicated these babies are!!
I don't think my Goldwing was even this complicated.
Cheers and good luck
Pete
Overthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
spamer80
Senior Member
 
spamer80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 270
Thanks: 23
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to spamer80 Send a message via MSN to spamer80 Send a message via Skype™ to spamer80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
Hi spamer80
Personally I cannot imaging what would cause a spark plug to "melt" but the fact that you could replace it and start the engine is promising.
If the indicator light is flashing at 7.5 second intervals that suggests that there are no codes stored.
I know about 7.5 seconds, but it continiously blinks every 1 second or maybe faster (have not tried actually to measure) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
For me, if you haven't already, initially I would disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes and reconnect and see if the "system" resets.
I`ve also tried this. I`ve tried to disconnect both battery, TCM and ECM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
If that fails page 11-21 suggests there is a "fail safe function" which stops the bike from going into gear...worth a look.
I`ve read all this too. But this is not a code, just blinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
Failing that, on pages 11-26/27 there are 7 possible causes for non operation of neutral/drive. 9-1(9), 9-2(9), 17-1(17), 19-1(19), 31-1(31), 41-1(41) and 42-2(42).
Finally, page 11-28 tells how/when to re-initialise HFT
The blinks does not allow to do this. I can`t re-initialise HFT while it`s blinking like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
Personally i don't see how dirty fuel could affect the HFT. Perhaps the overheating/melting of the rear spark plug has caused the system to go into lock down as a safety precaution by creating a sensor trip (the fail safe on page 11-21).
Me too, it wasn`t after bad fuel. It`s started after injector disassembly and cleaning. Maybe I`ve just clamped some wire somewhere, but I still can`t find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
I would go thru pages 24-25 just to be sure that all dtc's are cleared.
I can`t read DTC and can`t clean DTC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
Hope you can get her back on the road soon
I don't believe how complicated these babies are!!
I don't think my Goldwing was even this complicated.
Cheers and good luck
Pete
Thnx. Me too.

The spark plug.

And video.
https://youtu.be/fGSvhWmRBWo

Last edited by spamer80; 07-05-2017 at 11:34 PM.
spamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
Gizmo
Senior Member
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA
Posts: 409
Thanks: 226
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Personally I feel that the 'new' problem: "flashing dash" in HFT is self-induced when you took the fuel system apart to be cleaned. Seems to me that something wasn't re-assembled right or shorted. I would be checking the wiring to/from the HFT unit because the bike now starts and runs. It seems like "somewhere" on this forum someone had a similar problem or had gotten that flashing indication too. It just sounds familiar. Sorry I couldn't help more.
__________________
2009 Honda DN-01
2015 Yamaha R3
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
spamer80
Senior Member
 
spamer80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 270
Thanks: 23
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to spamer80 Send a message via MSN to spamer80 Send a message via Skype™ to spamer80
Default

Thank you for your reply. The bike sometimes starts, sometimes not (when you close the throttle, it won't hold idle). I've found that this is because of IACV, it's kind of stuck or something like that. Removed all plastic from bike today and right now going after oil pressure sensor. In other topics I've described tcm error 45 indicated sometime, when I turn ignition on or try to go from D to N. Next month I plan to buy new iacv, new n/d solenoid valve and if it will not work - new TCM.

UPD
One good former dn rider gave me an idea. Can anybody check, what the bike shows on dashboard when you stop the engine with kill switch while in "D" mode and also when you open kickstand in "D" mode?
I surely tried to run it both kickstand open and closed, but I need the indication.

Last edited by spamer80; 07-06-2017 at 07:31 AM.
spamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
Overthehill
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Hi spamer
First one....horizontal bar flashes 4 slow then 5 quick and cycles
Second one...just continuous quick flashes
Hope this helps
cheers
Pete
Overthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:25 AM   #7
spamer80
Senior Member
 
spamer80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 270
Thanks: 23
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to spamer80 Send a message via MSN to spamer80 Send a message via Skype™ to spamer80
Default

Neutral oil pressure switch was changed yesterday to the new one. No effect. And I`m not sure if it was "slow". I`ve seen the slow blinking before (eactly error 45(1)) and it looked very different and much easier to read.

But thanks.

Last edited by spamer80; 07-07-2017 at 03:33 AM.
spamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 AM   #8
Gizmo
Senior Member
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA
Posts: 409
Thanks: 226
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamer80 View Post
Thank you for your reply. The bike sometimes starts, sometimes not (when you close the throttle, it won't hold idle). I've found that this is because of IACV, it's kind of stuck or something like that. Removed all plastic from bike today and right now going after oil pressure sensor. In other topics I've described tcm error 45 indicated sometime, when I turn ignition on or try to go from D to N. Next month I plan to buy new iacv, new n/d solenoid valve and if it will not work - new TCM.

UPD
One good former dn rider gave me an idea. Can anybody check, what the bike shows on dashboard when you stop the engine with kill switch while in "D" mode and also when you open kickstand in "D" mode?
I surely tried to run it both kickstand open and closed, but I need the indication.

Bike running, "D" selected, Kill Switch ON: Red and Yellow lights lit, "D" indication NOW "FLASHING" single bar ... sound familiar!

Bike running, "D" selected, kickstand open: Green, Red, and Yellow lights lit: "D" indication NOW blank.

I hope this helps somewhat
__________________
2009 Honda DN-01
2015 Yamaha R3
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:
spamer80 (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #9
spamer80
Senior Member
 
spamer80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 270
Thanks: 23
Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to spamer80 Send a message via MSN to spamer80 Send a message via Skype™ to spamer80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Bike running, "D" selected, Kill Switch ON: Red and Yellow lights lit, "D" indication NOW "FLASHING" single bar ... sound familiar!

Bike running, "D" selected, kickstand open: Green, Red, and Yellow lights lit: "D" indication NOW blank.

I hope this helps somewhat
Thanks! I've also whote to the Honda USA with this question. (Because our local dealer even doesn't have the HDS pocket tester).
spamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #10
Gizmo
Senior Member
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA
Posts: 409
Thanks: 226
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamer80 View Post
Thanks! I've also whote to the Honda USA with this question. (Because our local dealer even doesn't have the HDS pocket tester).

Local dealers are NOT the most knowledgeable about the DN-01 since it's so rare ... at last that is how it is in The States.
__________________
2009 Honda DN-01
2015 Yamaha R3
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2011 , All content is property of DN-01.net All Rights Reserved. The opinions and posts on this site do not neccesarily reflect those of the site owners or operators.
DN-01 and Honda rights are property of Honda Motor Company.