Blacked out muffler and pipe shrouds finished.

Rollergoalie16

After owning my DN-01 for three weeks, the look of the chrome muffler and pipe shrouds just didn't sit well with me against the nice satin black of the engine. Today I decided to black out my muffler and shrouds to match the engine. I bought a can of VHT primer and VHT satin black and for 20 bucks and a couple of hours of my time, I have a whole new look to the right side of the bike. I decided to leave the muffler tip unpainted as a chrome accent piece.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
DAMN that looks GOOD! And since you are in Florida like me, I can't do it because people will think that I'm just copying you! I mean, we can't have two similar bikes at Bike Week or Biketoberfest.

Rollergoalie16

DAMN that looks GOOD! And since you are in Florida like me, I can't do it because people will think that I'm just copying you! I mean, we can't have two similar bikes at Bike Week or Biketoberfest.
Feel free to take the idea, no worries here. After looking at the results, it's too bad Honda didn't think to do this from the get go. I did remove the muffler and both shrouds before painting. I figured if I was going to take the time to do it, I might as well do it the right way. I'm very happy with the results, and think it makes the bike look a little tougher with the all black look.

Overthehill

NICE JOB.
Looks like you went crazy with a few cans of paint.
Did you paint the engine as well??
How did you prep the chromework for painting??
This inquiring mind would like to know for my future work.
cheers
Pete

Rollergoalie16

NICE JOB.
Looks like you went crazy with a few cans of paint.
Did you paint the engine as well??
How did you prep the chromework for painting??
This inquiring mind would like to know for my future work.
cheers
Pete
Actually the engine is blacked out straight from the factory and comes like that stock. I only needed to buy one can of primer and one can of satin black. I decided on not sandblasting the chrome down to bare metal because I wanted the option to still have the chrome underneath the paint to go back to if I wasn't happy with the results of the black. I just prepped the pieces by washing and de-greasing them before primer and paint. Attached a before paint picture and the same photo as above after paint.

Attachments

Overthehill

I think the bike looks so much better with the engine blacked out.
Must have been a USA thing.
Here in Oz they are a mid grey color.
I'm waiting for delivery of the am exhaust which is black, so the chrome pipe cover will probably look a bit weird.
I might try like you and just paint over it and hope it sticks.
Much as I like the black "stealth" look I don't want to do it too much on a red bike.
Cheers
Pete