Leaving in Drive mode?

Easyrider772

Hi folks, always wondered whether you can leave in Drive/ Sport mode all the time while engine is running i.e. when stopped at lights or an intersection etc. for a speedier
getaway? It's just like it being in Neutral anyway as you can push back / forward with no resistance whatsoever... Many thanks.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Hi folks, always wondered whether you can leave in Drive/ Sport mode all the time while engine is running i.e. when stopped at lights or an intersection etc. for a speedier
getaway? It's just like it being in Neutral anyway as you can push back / forward with no resistance whatsoever... Many thanks.
Should be NO resistance IF you are just sitting there at a light in 'D/S' mode. The bike goes into 'Neutral' (Coast) at about 11 mph anyways with no throttle usage. I try to not over use the selector switch, just to help prevent wear it out too soon. (Hate having to replace parts IF not necessary). Now I DO select 'N' just BEFORE I turn her off ... to help prevent the possibility of the HFT getting/being 'lost' when I start her up again!

Knob

Site Suporter
DN's automatic gearbox is different than automatic transmission in cars. There is an automatically operated wet clutch (motorcycle type clutch) activating at small speeds and while standing still. No engine drive applied to gearbox while this clutch is activated. No need to touch the N/D switch at stoplights.

DNSarnia

What 'Gizmo' said. Hitting the switch to select D or S is only necessary at start up, and then setting into N for neutral just before you shut her down. There is no 'need' to be switching while riding. Having said that.... once on the road, and preparing to pass, hitting the switch, and dropping down to 'S' gives you quite the extra boost for passing.... or just a quicker acceleration. Switching 'mode' to select a gear is also kind of fun... you can drop down one or two gears, and twist the throttle to really get out of a situation quickly... likewise, you can move it quicker through the gears - some will say getting into the higher gears quicker will give you better mileage.