Wind Screens for DN-01

tlyons

The wind is probably my biggest complaint of the bike as well. I am on the fence between the Givi and the Magical Racing Screen.

The Givi is much cheaper and seems to give the better wind protection. I do like the design of the OEM stock screen. The angle flows well with the bike since it has the sports bike look. However, I am concerned with the GIVI how it will look on the bike. I am unable to find pictures of the GIVI installed besides one stock photo. I'd like to see how it looks from the side. One other concern is that the GIVI will have that hole at the bottom of the screen since it was designed for the European DN-01 that has that additional light. Would that hole cause a lot of wind to pass through?

I LOVE the look of the Magical Racing screen. However, it has a pretty steep price and shipping. It appears to have a higher angle than the OEM screen which may? deflect the wind a little higher off the chest?

I did see a Puig Racing Screen that seems to have good height and angle. Almost like a hybrid of the two other screens. However, I could not find any ordering or price information on it. Also, it did seem to have that hole at the bottom for European models.

Does anyone have experience with these screens or have any pictures they could provide?

I'm thinking about the Puig also.
I've never ordered for these guys but they're listed as in stock on the web site:
http://www.ejejllc.com/results.cgis?catalog=&keywords=561-1115

Here's another:
http://www.powersports360.com/eshop...mpaign=base&v_traceback=c0504_0230_f0609_2011

If you order, drop a note how it goes.

russcarver

I don't particularly notice any wind from the hole. I didn't cover it up but I always wear full gear (gloves, cordura jacket, full helmet) so I don't really feel any wind except for the head bobble and cross-wind gusts. I'll try to pay more attention to it as I ride....

--Russs

Hanzo

I just bought the larger honda windscreen with the air vents ill let you know how i get on after i fitted it,does anyone have fitting instructions for the windscreen so i dont breal anything when fitting.

Chris

zebra03

Before I bought my bike , I test drove a DN-01 with the Givi windscreen . I thought it was semi effective but I could not get past the Bat Bike look .

zebra03

I just bought the larger honda windscreen with the air vents ill let you know how i get on after i fitted it,does anyone have fitting instructions for the windscreen so i dont breal anything when fitting.

Chris
Do you have pictures ?

tlyons

Do you have pictures ?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3nqQjoSlk8[/ame]

At >$400 shipped for the taller Japan OEM windscreen that was stupid expensive; I couldn't find a US source for the Puig; the Ermax seems gone also; the magical racing looks like it doesn't offer a lot of wind protection.

I went with the Givi since I was worried those would disappear from the US market also. Comes in Wednesday. I would have liked to try the Puig.

Hanzo

I just bought the same japanese higher honda screen brand new on ebay £35-bargain,does anyone have instructions how to fit a new screen as i dont want to break anything when i fit it ill post pictures.

tlyons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3nqQjoSlk8

At >$400 shipped for the taller Japan OEM windscreen that was stupid expensive; I couldn't find a US source for the Puig; the Ermax seems gone also; the magical racing looks like it doesn't offer a lot of wind protection.

I went with the Givi since I was worried those would disappear from the US market also. Comes in Wednesday. I would have liked to try the Puig.

I just installed the Givi windscreen and discovered a few things that would have helped to know about before I made the decision. It's on a US bike.

1. It's not as ugly in person. Really. I was worried that it would look like a tulip. It doesn't. With saddlebags, it look balanced and less shark nosed.
2. There is a black rubber thing that gets pushed into the hole for the European headlight that makes the hole not too obtrusive.
3. Up to 30MPH, it is pretty similar to the stock windscreen.
4. At 35+MPH, there is already meaningful noise.
5. At 55-70MPH, there is way, way less buffeting on the body compared to the stock and the bike feels dramatically more stable. There is a *lot* of wind noise and moving my head up or down 2 or 3 inches does not change it much. To reduce the noise, I have to duck all the way below the edge of the screen which is unacceptable since that makes you look through the screen. And I'm scrunched. It is much louder than the stock and I feel I will need ear plugs for comfort. There is minor head wobble particularly around 55 for some reason. I'm 5' 10" and wear a full face helmet.

6. It would take 20 minutes to install a second time. It took a lot longer the first. Tips: Read the manual for taking off the front cowl. The windscreen itself is attached to the cowl, which needs to be removed. There is an attachment at the very tip of cowl that is attached to the plastic below by a screw. Don't try to force it.

In the end, the windscreen is necessary to use the bike on the highway and the Givi works. I wish there was a bit less turbulence and maybe someday I will try the Puig but that no longer seems available in the US.

Dale M

I agree with everything which I've already stated in other posts. I'm also 5' 10" and wear a full face helmet. If the Givi was just a little wider and say 3 inches taller, it would be perfect. Still, its ok the way it is with a full face helmet. Rode almost a 100 miles yesterday with the c/c from 2wheelriders. Life saver for me as I've got arthritis in my right hand and it just needs a rest periodically. Cost a whole 20 bucks. I doubt whether any other manufactfurers will make a windshield for this bike as there are so few.

dbs1

Has Anyone tried the laminer lip product on these bikes? I am curious if it helps at all.

I am getting very close to purchasing one of these bikes, and after a test ride it definitely needs a better windscreen, and I too cannot find where to purchase the puig version.

At $8200 out the door I'm almost wanting to get one of each color.

Stove Pipe

The dealer put the Givi on the wife's new DN-01, I rode it home and she sit on it and said "It looks like I am looking thru a distored magnifying glass to the point it's making me sick". I even offered to shorten it with my roto-zip, so it would still be better than the OEM for wind protection and put her line of sight over it. Nothing doing but for me to re-install the OEM windshield! Maybe one of these days someone will come out with a WS that will keep the wind off of you and if your 5' 4" and looking thru it won't be distorted?

Come on aftermarket guys listen-up!!!

Stove Pipe

My wife ordered her a Magical Racing Windshield last week. They are made to order with a 2 week make time and then shipping time. So maybe we will see it soon?

I did see something interesting though last weekend on a Honda GL1100 with a Hannigan Fairing. That was a small windshield flange or lip that looked like a little mini windshield mounted atop the fairing windshield, right in the center. Just looking, I thought that might be something for the Dino to deflect wind, mounting it to the factory shield. The owner of the GL1100 said he got it from Hannigan Fairings in Paris Arkansas. www.hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com/

Last edited:

bhamrider

I now have a Givi windshield with a Laminar Lip. Works darn good. I think it's about as good as it gets with what is availiable aftermarket. To be ideal the Givi would need to be wider. I'm 5'7" but it would be no problem to raise the lip for taller riders. The Laminar Lip is the one made for the stock DN-01 shield and I was reluctant to try it at first. Leo at Laminar Lip said 30 day return so I gave it a try. I did a test ride with a 3/4 helmet and at 70 mph it was OK. The only improvement I may try is triming the lower part of the lip to allow more airflow between the lip and the windshield. My next mod is making some lower deflecters for the legs. I found some carbon fiber and kevlar weave (red and black) that should look cool.

russcarver

I would LOVE to have some leg deflectors as I ride ALL winter long! Cold air up my pants here in Colorado numbs my legs pretty quick. It's already down to low-mid 30's here when I leave for work and we should have our first snow (just north of Denver) here on Wednesday. Alternatively, I just put my ski pants on over my jeans....

--Russ

bhamrider

I ride year round and have some good gear but taking the wind away helps a lot. I have a design for the leg shields and will order the material next week. I'm going to put a 90+ degree flange on them and attach them to the inside of the radiator area with 3M Dual loc fasteners. No holes. I'll post as the project proceed.

russcarver

I can't wait to see them! Removing the wind really does help a lot. Glad to hear you ride too. The coldest I've been in so far is 22F (before wind chill). How 'bout you?

--Russ

bhamrider

My record low is 17 and record high is 105. The 17 degree ride was to check out my Level 5 gear for winter riding. That ride was on my Burgman 650 and was only about 10 miles. I grade my gear 1-5 because there are so many changes here and I like to be able to adjust for the variables. Got the get get the DN-01 up to the max comfort level.

Steve

One more thing I forgot to ask about the Givi. The screen was made for European models which have the marker light, but the US models do not. The Givi does have that hole in the bottom for the light, have you noticed any wind coming from the hole? Or did you somehow cover it up?
Ive got the Givi myself. Yep theres a small hole of sorts but it's very flat when you look down through it and I'm not sure you could even successfully drop a short pencil through mine. If any significant amount of air blows up through it then it can't be much and then only enough to help relieve the vacuum behind the windshield at speed.

Steve