WTB Missing parts

BiKenG

I just acquired a DN-01 in pieces. I was told it was complete, i.e. all parts were there, but sadly, not true. So, I have need of the following:-

• Headlight (3 light non US unit) & side/parking light
  • COWL ASSY., FR. UPPER (to suit above headlight, mounts screen)
  • Handlebars and upper and lower covers
  • Front side cowls (black)
  • Rear LH side cowl (black)
  • Lower cowls/bellypan (black)
  • L&R Mirror assemblies complete

I am in the UK, but other sources considered.

One thing really puzzles me. Why do DN-01s always crash onto the Left Hand Side?

Last edited:

BiKenG

Too many missing pieces to put it back to standard condition so I'm going in a different direction.

Please ignore above request as those parts no longer needed.

dndom

Different direction?

Too many missing pieces to put it back to standard condition so I'm going in a different direction.

Please ignore above request as those parts no longer needed.
Sounds intriguing! Genesis or the enclosed NTV that was around recently? Keep us posted!

BiKenG

I originally had in mind something of a stripped back, naked, bobber style bike. Then decided the DN-01 was such a uniquely styled bike that I would rebuild it as standard, but so many missing plastics and so hard to find in usable condition means that I've gone back to my original plan.

One problem with this approach is having to hide the ABS modulator which is exposed (and ugly) once the plastics are removed. I had the same problem with my VFR1200F=>eVo4 project and solved that by removing ABS altogether. I realise some will be horrified by this and I've even been told that I'm basically signing my own death warrant which is nonsense of course. I've been riding bikes for over 50 years and never once been in a situation that would have been helped by ABS. Then within the first year of owning and riding a bike with ABS, twice I nearly crashed into the vehicle in front when the ABS system decided riding over a pothole while braking meant it should release the brakes altogether. A frightening experience I can tell you. Fortunately it returned brake control to me just in time to avert the otherwise impending disasters. So no, I'm not a fan of ABS. Or any automated systems on which you have to rely. But I digress...

Removing ABS from the VFR1200 was tricky as it requires the ABS electronics for Traction Control and speed signals. Whereas on the DN-01, the ABS is entirely self contained, so removal will be much easier. I'm using VTR1000F (FireStorm here in the UK) forks and front calipers (I'll use the DN-01 originals on another project I have underway). Mounting the front fender/mudguard will require some bracketry but will think about that once the front end is all mounted. Also been waiting for the spring used at the end of the drive shaft. Entire shaft assembly was missing and having obtained that, realised I needed the spring which bizarrely was cheaper new from my local Honda dealer than I could find used on-line. Likewise throttle cables.

I do have one outstanding issue. The left foot plate was slightly bent and although I've straightened it, it is scratched and missing the rubber and tubular mounting bracket which attaches it all to the frame. So if anyone has that left hand assembly spare, do please let me know.

Also, I need a US computer/ECU as that is missing too. Anyone?

dndom

Basically agree about ABS etc. After 46 years and over a million miles on bikes never needed such 'aids'. Tried the Dn's ABS on gravel and it still locked up so what's the point. Will it pass the MOT with a non functioning ABS light?

Last edited:

tomaz

hello, I'm Tomaž and I'm writing from Slovenia. I'm a fan of HONDE DN-01. I've been driving it for 4 years but this year I was in an accident. I would like some spare parts to repair. If anyone has spare parts available, I would ask him to email me at [email protected].

BobF

As for throttle cables, I would advise making your own - so much cheaper and you can make them to the right length if you're changing the bars. There are kits on ebay, although it would help if you had the L-pieces that fit into the switchgear end.

BiKenG

Yes it occurred to me the length may not be perfect, but I've made my own cables in the past (I use Venhill as they're close and I have an account) and not a huge amount cheaper TBH. I was surprised at how reasonable Honda's prices were for these. Unusual. :)