convert foot brake to handle bar ?

JG122

I've seen that some Dino folks have taken the parts from a modern Silver Wing and put them on the left handle bar...

anyone here done this conversion ?

Quasi Moto

Most riders are used to working the left lever (Clutch) as a means to slow or keep the bike from moving. Especially when using two feet to manuver the bike around, not allowing to keep one foot on the brake pad. This would make the Brake conversion a smooth transition. Moving the bike with your feet and holding on to the throttle while in drive caused me to surge forward abruptly and almost run into a parked vehicle, very Scary.

I would really like to do the conversion on my bike, please someone give us some ideas.

spamer80

Well, I'm the one who changed the foot brake to handle bar. Feel free to aks your questions. As for me, it's very useful.

JG122

Well, I'm the one who changed the foot brake to handle bar. Feel free to aks your questions. As for me, it's very useful.
excellent !

I did not know it was you :)

would you be able to list all the Honda part numbers involved ?

and what the whole job cost you ?

spamer80

It wasn't me actually, but I was one of the guys who did it. The whole job I did by myself so I can't say correctly how it will be cost. I can't probably list absolutely all the parts, but the whole pedal, hose between pedal and ABS and rear master cylinder should be removed. Sounds terrible but it's pretty easy. The worst part is to make ABS work again after liquid draining. Later I will try to search part numbers using Honda EPC for Motorcycles. Also I can give you a photo of removed parts. Then you will take a rear brake from Silverwing, make some plastic cut-off from the left handlebar (about 1-2 cm.) and install it. I have also installed the armored hose, and front brake from Silverwing too, to make a similar look. It was about $200+$200+$400 include shipping to Russia.

Last edited:

BiKenG

Old thread but exactly about what I wanted to ask as I am intending to convert to handlebar brake on LHS, just like a bicycle.

Seems to me you should be able to use a Clutch master cylinder just connected to ABS module where the foot brake master cylinder used to be. However, 2 questions occur to me:-

1. What bore size of Master Cylinder?
  2. Will a clutch M/C matching the brake on the RHS fit over the switch?
The original foot Master Cylinder is 15.87mm (5/8") but would this be suitable for hand operation, or would a smaller one be more suitable to apply more pressure? How much force does a hand exert when pulling on such a lever compared to a foot rotating around the ankle, pushing on a pedal? Part of that will be determined by the mechanical leverage ratio of the levers, but also the bore sizes of the M/Cs. So what size will work best?

I have experienced issues on other bike projects where the LH switch interferes with the operation of the clutch lever. Does the size of the DN-01's switch cause such a problem if a typical clutch M/C that matches the RH brake M/C is used?

Those who have done this conversion will undoubtedly know so would appreciate their feedback.

spamer80

What bore size of Master Cylinder?
Not sure. Looked all the same for me. As I`ve told, used the Silverwing ones.
So what size will work best?
You forgot that between brake cylinder and caliper there is ABS box installed. So it changes the pressure too. The setup I used for years was more than enough for me.
All other questions are a bit strange for me. Not sure what you mean but it worked good. No contact with other controls, just some cut-off in plastic on left handlebar cover.