Transmission worries

Dale M

New rider on a 01 but been riding a long time as my long distrance bike is a trike... great for us old dudes. Most I use the 01 for around town and short distance except when some of us get together on the back roads and race occasionally. I put it in manual and run thru the gears just as fast as it will go shifting mostly around 6 or so. Can this kind of fast shifting and hard running hurt the tranny in any way! Haven't read anything. Also, I think its faster in the manual mode. Right, wrong, or about the same.

tlyons

New rider on a 01 but been riding a long time as my long distrance bike is a trike... great for us old dudes. Most I use the 01 for around town and short distance except when some of us get together on the back roads and race occasionally. I put it in manual and run thru the gears just as fast as it will go shifting mostly around 6 or so. Can this kind of fast shifting and hard running hurt the tranny in any way! Haven't read anything. Also, I think its faster in the manual mode. Right, wrong, or about the same.
Driving hard:
Drive the bike. If it worries you, buy an extended warrany. Shop around for the best warranty price, you don't have to get it where you bought the bike. There aren't enough of these bikes out there to really know what will break.

Shifting:
Here's a dyno run for a DN-01 although I question the review a bit; all their numbers are quite a bit slower than reported everywhere else. The reviewer is a full 1.5s off other 0-60 times. Maybe he didn't push the S button?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0910_aprilia_mana_850_vs_honda_dn_01/photo_24.html

You hit the torque peak by about 4500 RPM but the curve is very flat. There's not much if any advantage to winding the motor out higher. Clearly you're losing power past 5000 RPM.

Casually recalling what the bike does as you accelerate, it seems to go to an RPM and then stay there, changing the transmission ratio as you increase in speed. That makes sense with such a flat torque curve and is likely the fastest. The only advantage I see to manually shifting is that you can control the engine braking in the curves if you choose and of course it's fun and sounds good.

Dale M

The article didn't review these bikes, it dissected them and I agree with your 4500-5000 part. All good stuff. Thanks...

realduff

Now have 15000KM on the bike. The only transmission item I have noticed is that at 85KPH the bike seems to make a noticable transision as though it can decide on what gear position it wants. It feels like going in to S then D very quickly. Does not effect the operation of bike.

tlyons

Driving hard:
Drive the bike. If it worries you, buy an extended warrany. Shop around for the best warranty price, you don't have to get it where you bought the bike. There aren't enough of these bikes out there to really know what will break.

Shifting:
Here's a dyno run for a DN-01 although I question the review a bit; all their numbers are quite a bit slower than reported everywhere else. The reviewer is a full 1.5s off other 0-60 times. Maybe he didn't push the S button?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0910_aprilia_mana_850_vs_honda_dn_01/photo_24.html

You hit the torque peak by about 4500 RPM but the curve is very flat. There's not much if any advantage to winding the motor out higher. Clearly you're losing power past 5000 RPM.

Casually recalling what the bike does as you accelerate, it seems to go to an RPM and then stay there, changing the transmission ratio as you increase in speed. That makes sense with such a flat torque curve and is likely the fastest. The only advantage I see to manually shifting is that you can control the engine braking in the curves if you choose and of course it's fun and sounds good.
Here's a different dyno test with +4HP, +2.5lb-ft, and a -0.6 sec 0-60MPH.
http://www.cycleworld.com/oldassets/download/0509_hondaDN-01_datapanel.pdf

The torque curve is not nearly as flat. Go figure.