Blinking oil pressure (low oil level light)

I have a intermittant problem with the low level oil pressure light blinking at me when I park the bike with the front wheel up an incline. It appears when I start the bike after stopping it on a hill, I have checked the oil level and it is fine. When I stop the bike and let it cool down some and start it on level surface it is fine with no oil light.

I have contacted a Honda service mechanic and he told me not to run the bike and to get in into the shop to have it looked at, but he told me that the light would have to be blinking for them to check it out.

By the way the bike now has 980 miles on it and this did not start until after I serviced the bike at the 600 miles recommended by the manufacturer.

russcarver

Yeah, I've had that happen to me 3 times now. I have just 1600mi on the bike. Same exact thing. I haven't contacted the dealer though. I figure if something goes wrong, it'll be covered under warranty.

--Russ

Hello, glad to know that my bike is not the only one with this issue. I have determined that probably these bikes have a very sensitive oil level sensor on them due to the CVT transmission.
I wonder if there will be a service bulletin to come out as time goes by to cover this issue!

dkenney

blinking oil light

I am on a long trip and have noticed the blinking oil light issue. What I have seen is that if I park the bike at even a slight angle and leave it like that for a few minutes and try to start it up I get the blinking oil light. I am riding with a buddy and we tried checking the oil it was ok. Interestingly right after the oil check I started it up and no blinking light.

I have called Honda customer service USA and they have opened a case file on this issue. I urge everyone who has seen this issue to call Honda customer service so they will elevate the importance of the issue.

The number for US is:

866-784-1870

dkenney

Great hopefully they will find a fix for it. I am going to try something the next time it happens. take off the oil level stick with bike on stand and put it back on. My riding buddy thinks it could be a pressure issue. Probably not but worth a try sence you have to cool your heals for 4 or 5 minutes.

Dave K

:) Okay, just called Honda and gave them my Vin number also, the lady said that I need to take my bike into a dealer to get it looked at A.S.A.P.

P.S. dkenney, that won't work with the dip stick thing, I've tried it!

russcarver

Yeah, they told me to take it to the dealer too. I said it's hard to reproduce and my dealer doesn't have any inclines to park on :)

--Russ

dkenney

Get it to happen near the dealer ship and then ride it in while blinking. I do not think that a couple of miles while hurt the engine. One thing I have noticed is that if I park on a incline and leave it there for say 30 minutes or so it starts with no blinking light.

So there appears to be some sort of time element. I am out on a long trip so I have no choice but to reset it and continue on home. I was told that as long as it does reset and stop blinking the bike will be ok. Bike is running fine at this point.

russcarver

I usually leave it in my driveway for 15-20 mins to wash it (inclined). When I start it up, it's blinking. Now, I just manhandle it back into the garage without starting it :)

--Russ

russcarver

Happened again yesterday while parked for an hour in parallel parking downtown (road slopes to the sides and I back into the spot). I'm not exactly sure how long you have to let it sit before it goes off, but overnight always works :)

--Russ

allsmiles277

I went on a 75 mile ride today and backed into a parking spot for a few hours. When I cranked my DN-01 up I noticed a red light blinking on my bike. I just had my first service on my bike(600 mile) and this scared me. I had no idea this is happening to other people. Does the light stop blinking ?

allsmiles277

I just talked to a Honda representative at 866-784-1870 and he said the dealership may not have reset the ECM light. He told me that the user manual tells you how to reset it. I will try this tomorrow. I don't know if this helps anybody but I am going to see if this makes a difference.

allsmiles277

The owner's manual has the answer..don't park bike on an incline

I looked in the owner's manual and it says not to park or leave overnite the DN-01 on an incline otherwise the red blinking light may come on. Problem solved....I rode my DN-01 today and had no problems since I left my bike on a level area for storage overnite.

ag1

I had this happen once. Rode approx 50 mi, stopped at burger shack and parked on incline. Was there about 30 min, upon restart, oil light was blinking. I parked on level ground, checked oil level, all was ok. I rode less than a few blocks and light went out. I suspect that the oil galley that feeds the sensor may not have a tall enough drainback and it causes an airpocket until refilled. Contacted my local dealer, they said if it happened again, have it towed in.

russcarver

I talked to my dealer at my 4K service about it. He said not to worry about it. He also gave me a page of instructions (from some manual) that have a procedure on how to turn of the light if wanted.

--Russ

kerwink040

I wish I had read this blog sooner to save you guys some trouble. I had this same problem (blinking oil light). I called my mechanic when it happened, he said it was a sensor. If oil level was ok, the bike is rideable. When I checked the big Honda DN-01 book/manual
([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-NSA700-Service-61MEH00/dp/B0035CHZ6M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332730235&sr=8-3[/ame]) it says that you shouldn't start the bike with the kickstand down or on an incline, after a certain number of times doing that, the sensor will think the level is low and cause the light to blink. I stopped starting it on an incline/ kickstand down and the problem went away. Incline means leaned over (as it is with the kickstand down).

We have a highly specialized bike and it has all kinds of sensors and gyros in it to keep itself in good condition.
My suggestion is to start the bike in an upright position with the kickstand up and that should solve the problem. You will have to do this several times before the sensor corrects itself. I never took it to a Honda dealer and the problem has stopped.