Center Stand

Tonypil

Almost all of my bikes (mostly larger than the DN-01) have been equipped with a center stand.
Does anyone know of a source for an aftermarket center stand that will fit the DN-01 and be easily installed?
Also, where are the recommended lift points for the DN-01? I have a large Harbor Freight lift that I use on my Gold Wing.

Tonypil

Thank you, Knob. This looks interesting and may give me just the lift that I need, if only 28 cm (better than 0).
Have you used this lift on your DINO or know of anyone who has, without damaging the frame?
I have sent a query to the Louis company and will report what they tell me.
Thanks again and ride safe. Tony

Knob

Site Suporter
Yes I have this Rothewald quick lift and I'm using it on DN. It is safe for the frame paint as it has some soft tubing cover on it. The height is adjustable for your needs and with little practice it is quite easy to get bike lifted and upright.

I also have a small scissorlift, I keep my bike on it when doing maintenance work and when bike sits in garage off the riding season. The scissorlift is a bit more expencive, needs some tool to wave it up (it is not as fast to get the bike supported), but gives a bit more secure feeling for bike being raised on it.

01.jpg 02.jpg

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Yes I have this Rothewald quick lift and I'm using it on DN. It is safe for the frame paint as it has some soft tubing cover on it. The height is adjustable for your needs and with little practice it is quite easy to get bike lifted and upright.

I also have a small scissorlift, I keep my bike on it when doing maintenance work and when bike sits in garage off the riding season. The scissorlift is a bit more expencive, needs some tool to wave it up (it is not as fast to get the bike supported), but gives a bit more secure feeling for bike being raised on it.

View attachment 429 View attachment 430
Thanks for your input Knob, much appreciate it!

Tonypil

Knob, I thought that the Rothewald would be a good investment, but before ordering it, I wrote to the manufacturer, and their technical support people discouraged the use of their support on the DINO. Here is their response:

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 11:51 PM
Subject: DL-1003201: WWW-Shop Anfrage Server "3", Nr.15848 von Tonypil: Center Stand

Dear Sir,

thank you for your message. We unfortunately cannot offer a workshop stand that fits for DN-01, sorry.

Best regards

Your Louis-team

Thomas Herm / Technik-Support

https://www.louis.de

Mailto:[email protected]

Detlev Louis

Motorrad-Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH

Rungedamm 35

21035 Hamburg

Managing Directors: Nico Frey, Joachim Grube-Nagel

Register court: AG Hamburg HRB 134260

Knob

Site Suporter
What can I say? Thou shall not have doubt about my words.
If you ask wrong questions, then you also will get wrong answers.
The Rothewald bike support from the big german m/c accessory seller shop Louis is ment to be used under many bikes, it is kind of universal version, not strictly for DN-01 use only.

I will put here some photos I took today in my garage. My decision is the Rothewald bike support is very much suitable for use under DN-01.

01.jpg 02.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg

The product number is 10003271 and you can see it here:
https://www.louis.eu/artikel/rothew...ersal/10003271?filter_article_number=10003271

Gizmo

Site Suporter
What can I say? Thou shall not have doubt about my words.
If you ask wrong questions, then you also will get wrong answers.
The Rothewald bike support from the big german m/c accessory seller shop Louis is ment to be used under many bikes, it is kind of universal version, not strictly for DN-01 use only.

I will put here some photos I took today in my garage. My decision is the Rothewald bike support is very much suitable for use under DN-01.

View attachment 437 View attachment 438 View attachment 439 View attachment 440 View attachment 441 View attachment 442

The product number is 10003271 and you can see it here:
https://www.louis.eu/artikel/rothew...ersal/10003271?filter_article_number=10003271
Thank you for the info

Tonypil

I can't disagree with your photos, Knob. It looks like #10003271 would do the job, at least get the bike off the ground and level. Actually, your garage/workshop looks cleaner than my kitchen.
The truth is that I asked him specifically if he would recommend the unit that you described, #10003271. I was a little confused by his response because he seems to imply that I wanted a center stand presumably to be mounted on the DINO. That's not what I asked I don't know what item #DL-1003201 is, and it's not listed in their catalog.
In any event, I have decided to sell the DINO, so my need for a jack or other device is unnecessary as of the moment. If I change my mind, I would rather purchase the scissor jack that you have. Can you give me a link to the source of that lift anf what is the minimum height to fit under the DINO? Thanks in advance for your help, Tony

Knob

Site Suporter
If I change my mind, I would rather purchase the scissor jack that you have. Can you give me a link to the source of that lift anf what is the minimum height to fit under the DINO? Thanks in advance for your help, Tony
The scissor lift I use during winter time parking and in times when I do bigger service works on bike is this one from here:
https://www.motomike.eu/en/search/722.04.70/in/all/article/908278

This lift will go down as flat as about 60 mm so it will fit under DN (and many other bikes) very well. I use a ratchet to lift it up, it is more convenient than with the L-wrench coming with the lift.
You just position first the lift under bike's frame while the bike is on side stand. Then start lifting and the bike will straighten up itself smoothly while it relies on scissor lift. Really easy task.
The scissor lift is better for adjustable height versus the Rothewald support, which is more like a kind of a fast vertical parking tool with single pre-adjusted height position.
The scissor lift support plate dimensions are very well suitable for supporting the DN by underbelly frame pipes.
Here you can see my DN supported by scissor lift during bigger service job:

kylg_mootor.jpg

Tonypil

The scissor lift I use during winter time parking and in times when I do bigger service works on bike is this one from here:
https://www.motomike.eu/en/search/722.04.70/in/all/article/908278

This lift will go down as flat as about 60 mm so it will fit under DN (and many other bikes) very well. I use a ratchet to lift it up, it is more convenient than with the L-wrench coming with the lift.
You just position first the lift under bike's frame while the bike is on side stand. Then start lifting and the bike will straighten up itself smoothly while it relies on scissor lift. Really easy task.
The scissor lift is better for adjustable height versus the Rothewald support, which is more like a kind of a fast vertical parking tool with single pre-adjusted height position.
The scissor lift support plate dimensions are very well suitable for supporting the DN by underbelly frame pipes.
Here you can see my DN supported by scissor lift during bigger service job:

View attachment 443
This looks good, Knob, but it still only gets the DINO up about 34cm and costs 132 Euro (plus shipping, I suppose), quite pricy. This shop, MotoBike, is a good resource for the DINO. Revzilla (Philadelphia, PA) has an unbelievable selection of OEM Honda parts for the DINO and I have gotten many replacement body parts there. Unfortunately, the DINO's paint has faded a bit, so the new part is not an exact match, but close. I have a lift that I bought for my Gold Wing maintenance that lifts the bike almost 3 feet, but a bit flimsy for the 950 lb monster. I wanted to use this lift (Harbor Freight ~$80) for the DINO, but it just won't fit under it. Maybe I could construct the 4X8 inch wooden lift and see if the Harbor Freight would fit under the bike from the other side. It would certainly be steadier than the Gold Wing!
Thanks again for all of your help, Knob. YOU are a really good resource for the DINO. Tony

Knob

Site Suporter
but it still only gets the DINO up about 34cm and costs 132 Euro (plus shipping, I suppose), quite pricy.
In practice the 34cm off the ground is actually quite enough. If you need higher then there is already a need to purchase a full size workshop type bike lift.
I also have another, a bit bigger type bike lift in my garage, but I really do not use it much as the DN does not sit very well on it and it is very slow to rise the bike with hydraulic jack. It gives a bit higher ground clearance 40cm:
https://www.motomike.eu/en/category/20420030000/article/908276/

Speaking about one expencive little scissor lift I would point out the italian made version:
https://www.motomike.eu/en/category/20420030300/article/316711/

And yes, things we need for living are pricy in Europe, most things will cost much more in EU than in US. Like gas, motor oils, spare parts, riding gear, even motorcycles themselves, and beer, food etc etc...
For example price I have to pay for gas (cheapest sort) today is $5,80 USD per US gallon.

Tonypil

Yes Knob, both of those lifts are good, but because of a back injury and several knee surgeries, it's difficult for me to get down on the floor and up again, although I would rather do my own maintenance than take a bike to a dealer or independent mechanic. This is why I use the Harbor Freight or similar lift for the Gold Wing and other motorcycles that I have owned (three BMWs, Kawasaki, Honda 350, 450, 750, ST1300, and the Gold Wing). Since it will raise the motorcycle almost one meter high, I can do many things other than fluid changes while sitting on a stool. The Dino is the only bike that has a lower frame than my lift.
Yes, prices are lower here in the US, but low gasoline prices have encouraged people to own large, fuel-inefficient SUVs, trucks, and cars while adding to the carbon dioxide and air pollution. I have traveled throughout Europe, primarily on business, and I was always shocked at the price of rental cars and petrol, but your cars are much more efficient than those here in the US. I lived in Stockholm for a short time and was always impressed with their standard of living and health care, and while they always complained about high taxes, most managed to have a small boat and a summer home, things that elude most Americans. Everything is relative.
I purchased the DINO in January primarily because I needed a bike smaller than my Gold Wing to use for mandatory recertification of my driver's license (after you reach 75 in Illinois, you must retest every four years). I really enjoy riding the DINO, but its wheelbase is only a few inches shorter than the Gold Wing, and it is still hard to negotiate the tight turns in the cone-avoidance testing part of recertification. This is why I recently purchased a scooter, large enough to certify, but much more maneuverable. Three motorcycles in my garage are probably too many, so once I pass the tests, I will sell the scooter or the DINO. I would rather keep the DINO but will have the same recertification problem in a few years. Oh, well... Tony

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Yes Knob, both of those lifts are good, but because of a back injury and several knee surgeries, it's difficult for me to get down on the floor and up again, although I would rather do my own maintenance than take a bike to a dealer or independent mechanic. This is why I use the Harbor Freight or similar lift for the Gold Wing and other motorcycles that I have owned (three BMWs, Kawasaki, Honda 350, 450, 750, ST1300, and the Gold Wing). Since it will raise the motorcycle almost one meter high, I can do many things other than fluid changes while sitting on a stool. The Dino is the only bike that has a lower frame than my lift.
Yes, prices are lower here in the US, but low gasoline prices have encouraged people to own large, fuel-inefficient SUVs, trucks, and cars while adding to the carbon dioxide and air pollution. I have traveled throughout Europe, primarily on business, and I was always shocked at the price of rental cars and petrol, but your cars are much more efficient than those here in the US. I lived in Stockholm for a short time and was always impressed with their standard of living and health care, and while they always complained about high taxes, most managed to have a small boat and a summer home, things that elude most Americans. Everything is relative.
I purchased the DINO in January primarily because I needed a bike smaller than my Gold Wing to use for mandatory recertification of my driver's license (after you reach 75 in Illinois, you must retest every four years). I really enjoy riding the DINO, but its wheelbase is only a few inches shorter than the Gold Wing, and it is still hard to negotiate the tight turns in the cone-avoidance testing part of recertification. This is why I recently purchased a scooter, large enough to certify, but much more maneuverable. Three motorcycles in my garage are probably too many, so once I pass the tests, I will sell the scooter or the DINO. I would rather keep the DINO but will have the same recertification problem in a few years. Oh, well... Tony
Keep the scooter .... more versatile and you can carry MORE. SORRY DN-01 but Tony has needs!

Knob

Site Suporter
Keep the scooter .... more versatile and you can carry MORE. SORRY DN-01 but Tony has needs!
You can pick always some scooter to carry some stuff around, they'll produce them till the end of times... I suspect the pickup-truck may be even more efficient?

But no new DINO will come! Ever!