driveline smell

3spd6

has anybody noticed a burnt/burning smell when driving uphill in drive or manual mode in a shall we say spirited manner. couple times now after a little spirited driving i've had a burning clutch type smell..only briefly but noticeable none the less.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Any chance that the "smell" could be the result of oil or antifreeze "leakage" getting on the exhaust/manifold during your "spirited" uphill runs? I would check the antifreeze reservoir since it is SO close to the exhaust, ie, leakage. Also, check to make sure that you have sufficent "fluid" in the transmission since it is "taking" a beating with going uphill @ a good pace!

3spd6

no..oil & antifreeze are both ok. smell is more like clutch or brake smell but never use the brakes going uphill(none of the corners were that sharp) and i wasn't really WFO.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Since it ONLY occurs when you go "uphill," I would be "thinking," when the bike is angled "up" ... I get this brief smell. Does it occur when you go "slower?" "Faster?" Different pitch incline? I am VERY curious as to what the heck is happening. Keep me posted as to what you do discover.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Also, have someone ride alongside and/or behind you and see IF they notice anything ... smell, smoke, etc, from the bike as you ride uphill. 2 sets of eyes or "sniffers" are better than one!

3spd6

i can't say definitively it only happens going uphill but it seems to happen when ure on and off the gas(speed up for a corner..back off the gas..speed up for the next corner etc.). hit a couple of my favorite curvy roads over the last few days(finally got some time off) and noticed it then. will keep track & let u'all know if i solve it. thanx for the inputs.