fuel guage blinking issue

marcusdn

hi all
my dn fuel guage suddenly blinks with full bar sometimes after engine running for 5-10 mins. then the engine will start to stutter and engine will stop. I cant restart the engine after. When i off and on ignition, the engine fires right up.
I have fuel in the tank. what's the issue and where can i start troubleshooting?

Freddy

It would seem to be a poor connection in the wiring to fuel pump. Unplug the pump harness connector under the seat, spray some contact cleaner or similar on the terminal then reconnect and disconnect several times as this should clean the terminals. See if that solves the problem. It's curious however, that turning the key off and on temporarily solves the problem.

Has any work recently been done on the bike or anything else unusual?

And welcome to the forum marc.

Freddy

If the simple things don't fix it, it requires deeper investigation. The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU. The fuel gauge however, it not - well, that's my understanding. So it seems odd that both pump and gauge 'misbehave.' It's time to get your digital multimeter and do some voltage checking on the fuel pump wiring circuit when the failure occurs.

The fact that turning Off and On fixes it temporarily would seem to indicate the fault is in the ECU - but I repeat: Has any work recently been done on the bike or anything else unusual?

marcusdn

nothing done... only that the bike was sitting in the. garage for 2months. i am suspecting fuel sensor is giving wrong readings. however i don't under how is that causing engine to stop.

Freddy

Now looking at the wiring diagram, I'd swap the Fuel Pump relay around with one of the others to see any change. The relays are all the same from what l can determine. Fuel pump and gauges are shown in the centre of the wiring diagram.

Dino relays.jpg

Attachments

BobF

One question - how old is the fuel in the tank? You mentioned it was idle for 2 months. Could the fuel be quite a lot older than that?

marcusdn

No, but a faulty relay will.
i have remove the fuel hose and tested the fuel pump by turning on and off the ignition many times. The fuel pump relay will click and fuel is gushing out with strong pressure and stop after two secs. It is normal?

Freddy

Yes. That needs to be done when the failure occurs to help identify what is going on. That's the only suggestion l can make because it's such an odd problem.

marcusdn

Hi Fred,
could the plug caps be the issue? i saw a thread mentioning the original plug if faulty will cause engine to die off. any recommendation on the suitable placement part number?

Freddy

I doubt it give what you have described, but it's cheap and easy to do. If you do a search for plug caps it should come up.

Freddy

As we hadn't heard back from marcusdn I sent him a PM to ask for an update. This was his reply: remove fuel pump, clean tank and strainer. reinstall back and drop in new fuel. all is running well for now. Fuel gauge not blinking anymore.

Very interesting that this fixed it - good for him. (y)