Heated Grips.

usmcrider

I just got a set of heated grips for my DN-01. Anyone install these yet. Tips, Tricks, Advice. Not sure if I want to undertake this one or pass it off to the dealer. They want and arm and a leg for labor. But then again anything happens its on them not me.

So I ask again. Tips, Tricks, Advice.

Thanks

USMCrider

Stove Pipe

Norrie

I sort of had the same question. Does the headlamp circuit have enough capacity or do you use the headlamp circuit to activate a relay that would be wired between the battery and the grips? I know to create heat the coils within the grips are a basic short circuits thru a resistance.

Norrie

Stove Pipe I think you know a lot more about electrics than me. I was advised on another forum to do it that way. The reason given, 1) in case you forget to switch them off. 2) in case some fool tampers with the switch when the bike is left unattended.

Stove Pipe

Letting the headlight circuit (or any other circuit that has continous 12VDC when the key is on) activate the relay coil then you have full battery capacity (or amp rated capacity of relay contacts) thru it's contacts to the grips, still allowing for the safety of everything turning off with the key. This is the method I have used in many installations including powering the JMCB-2003 & XM Radio on my wife's DN-01.

Last edited:

RIDER-59

I recently went to fit a set of after-market Oxford) Heated Grips on my DN-01 but decided not to in the end because of a couple of little reasons. Instead, I've bought a set of genuine Honda grips (and the glue) and hope to fit them on shortly. Can anyone confirm my belief that the Honda product is actually capable of automatically shutting themselves off, even if the ignition is left on?

dndom

Heated Grips

Done this many times, wouldn't ride without them.
Definitely crimp into pilot lights, no relay needed. Fit switch within easy reach of Left hand, unlike some dealers! Never needed glue but hairspray makes them slide on easily before evaporating.

DNSarnia

Funnily enough, my DN-01 came with Honda Heated Grips installed. The switch to turn them on has a series of 3 LED lights, which actually gives 5 different levels of warmth. While riding, I'll start with them on full heat, but usually Mid-position is usually enough on the coldest nights or spring rides. My controller is mounted on the right handle bar - just behind the brake reservoir.
I haven't noticed that they 'turn OFF' by themselves, but they do turn off when the ignition is switched off, then don't turn back on again until you push the button again.

hth

Last edited:

RIDER-59

I'd considered mounting the control switch on the left side, but the bracket that comes with the Honda Genuine includes a bracket and some step off tubes for mounting off the right hand side brake fluid resevior. How did you fix the controller on the left?