HELP! Overheating Dn01

dndonkey

Hi all,

I bought a dn01 that ended up having overheating/ smoking issues. The last time I rode it it smoked so much all over the road it was like driving a steam train.

so I’ve parked it up and over a few weekends I have changed the

- head gaskets
- pistion rings
- cam chain tensioners

i have just put the radiator back on the bike with new coolant and taken it for a test ride and now it’s still overheating, after about a km of open road the temperature gauge will come on. There is little to no smoke this time though.

im a bit stuck as I thought this would solve the whole problem, could anyone suggest what I should do?

now I’m thinking thermostat could not be opening? Or the water pump?
has anyone had similar experiences?

thank you

Freddy

Agreed.

It's a pity you did so much to it already, but you fixed the smoke issue. Welcome and sorry for your woes.

Antonio

Hi all,

I bought a dn01 that ended up having overheating/ smoking issues. The last time I rode it it smoked so much all over the road it was like driving a steam train.

so I’ve parked it up and over a few weekends I have changed the

- head gaskets
- pistion rings
- cam chain tensioners

i have just put the radiator back on the bike with new coolant and taken it for a test ride and now it’s still overheating, after about a km of open road the temperature gauge will come on. There is little to no smoke this time though.

im a bit stuck as I thought this would solve the whole problem, could anyone suggest what I should do?

has anyone had similar experiences?

thank you
It all is ok you Can play with coolant composition. Honda said 50% 50% you Can put 60% refrigerant 40% antifreezer.

Freddy

The thermostat is easier of the two to check - it's located behind the right side plastic where the coolant cap is. The water pump is located low on the left side of the engine from memory, which would require removal and inspection of the impeller. Thermostat test is in hot water with a thermometer to check opening temperature.

Last edited:

Kesu

The thermostat is easier of the two to check it's located behind the right side plastic where the coolant cap is. The water pump is located low on the left side of the engine from memory, which would require removal and inspection of the impeller. Thermostat tests is in hot water with a thermometer to check opening temperature.
The thermostat is easier of the two to check it's located behind the right side plastic where the coolant cap is. The water pump is located low on the left side of the engine from memory, which would require removal and inspection of the impeller. Thermostat tests is in hot water with a thermometer to check opening temperature.
Thanks for your kind help :)

Freddy

On rare occasions, a thermostat will fail to open at all. More often than not they fail in the open position. By placing it in a pan of water and heating it while a thermometer is in the water, you can check at what temp it begins to open.

A loose impeller on a water pump shaft is somewhat rarer than a failed thermostat, but it happens.

Both of tese types of failure cause overheating within a few minutes at most.

Diagnosis of overheating issues is based on the assumption that the cooling system is FULL of coolant.

Kesu

On rare occasions, a thermostat will fail to open at all. More often than not they fail in the open position. By placing it in a pan of water and heating it while a thermometer is in the water, you can check at what temp it begins to open.

A loose impeller on a water pump shaft is somewhat rarer than a failed thermostat, but it happens.

Both of tese types of failure cause overheating within a few minutes at most.

Diagnosis of overheating issues is based on the assumption that the cooling system is FULL of coolant.
Thank you, Freddy, it is very helpful! I am going to check soon. There is no red light flashing on my dashboard; I just run short distances in the city, and sometimes I feel the motor very hot and smells hot. Maybe I am wrong...

Freddy

I would not touch anything unless the hi temp warning light comes on, assuming the system is FULL of coolant when cold. Does the radiator fan come on if you leave the engine running? It should do so well before a red temp light comes on.

Kesu

I would not touch anything unless the hi temp warning light comes on, assuming the system is FULL of coolant when cold. Does the radiator fan come on if you leave the engine running? It should do so well before a red temp light comes on.
Yes, it is full of coolant, and the fan works :)

Kesu

it is an interesting phenomenon that the fan remains running when I stop the engine by stander ( now I know I should not ). Should not work the fan after I stop the engine but leave the ignition on?