hft filter

3spd6

had the dino in for service. dealer drained the oil and then..discovered the transmission filter he had was not the transmission filter. buttoned it back up with fresh oil and engine filter. just wondering if i could change the hft filter now 500 miles later w/o draining all my fresh, expensive already paid for oil. does this involve leaning the bike over extra far??

Pebbles

I wouldn't stress over it. Just change the HFT filter on the next oil change. What's your current oil change interval? We do a lot of riding and change oil 2-3 times a year at intervals ranging from 4,000 - 7,000 miles. Got caught twice without the HFT filter on hand and just skipped it, changing oil on a shorter interval the next time around. I've examined (without scientific instrumentation or knowledge) the used HFT filters after 10,000 miles of use and saw no obvious wear, deterioration or anything concerning. I've also rolled the dice and took changes by not changing the oil drain crush washer (flipped it over) and re-used the HFT gasket o-ring (was on back order). I would really rather not do these things but I'm not going to worry if I get caught short. I'll keep a close eye out for leaks, oil level and unusual performance in the meantime.

So, the risk is on you, but at 40,000 miles on this Dino there hasn't been any problems. I would change the HFT filter and gasket within 4,000 miles or no later than a year from now. Just my contribution, your mileage may vary.

Terran Sin
Valet and shade tree gambling wrench for Pebbles

3spd6

original oil change was at 900 miles, then the mentioned one at 4300 miles so i guess i,m alright. i almost never ride in stop & go in town and have a 30 mile round trip work commute so i guess i,m ok. thanks for the reassurance.

UncleMurphy

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 DN-01 with only 1800kms and the last time it had an oil change and HFT change was 3 years ago. It was done by the dealer so all genuine parts and oils were used, would it be risky to keep riding with the oil? It's completely brand new, not a sign of wear or any bad noise.

I have purchased a new HFT, Oil filter and genuine Honda GN4 oil for the DN-01, but was hoping if the current oil can still be used safely. I only ride the DN-01maybe 5 times a year for short distances.

Thank you,

Victor