how about an oil question

3spd6

whereas the main reason to use a mc specific oil is to protect a wet clutch & whereas our beloved dinos have no such device does anybody run a regular car oil or see any reason not to.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
whereas the main reason to use a mc specific oil is to protect a wet clutch & whereas our beloved dinos have no such device does anybody run a regular car oil or see any reason not to.

VERY good question, other than Honda (DN-01) owner's manual says use 10W30 (SG/SJ) oil!

3spd6

over the years i have noticed all owners manuals are almost word for word about oil(and most other) recommendations regardless of make or model. and my understanding is the dino is all hydraulic-maybe ure thinking of the newer dual clutch transmissions.

mickwa

If you look on page 2-3 of the service manual(the tec. features section). There are 2 clutches. HFT(starting clutch/transmission) left side of trans. and on the right side of trans. is the N/D clutch.
Mick

3spd6

sorry, fresh out of(don't have) a service manual. everything i had read said it was all hydraulic w/ pumps and swash plates. so what don't we have-gears? ..'cause gears are good. okay, so are the clutches wet clutches like a regular motorcycle(service manuals are good too!!)

mickwa

sorry, fresh out of(don't have) a service manual. everything i had read said it was all hydraulic w/ pumps and swash plates. so what don't we have-gears? ..'cause gears are good. okay, so are the clutches wet clutches like a regular motorcycle(service manuals are good too!!)
Yes they are wet(the clutches). We do have pumps as well as swash plates, but you still have to be able to disengage the trans from the engine. the clutch on the left side is for starting, and the one on the right side is for drive/neutral
Mick

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I thought it was the centrifical force of the fluid that was causing the transmission to engage. More force = faster speed. At idle (less than 11 mph), the force isn't enough to "drive" the drive shaft to the rear tire, therefore we go into "coast/neutral." Maybe I'm too clutch-minded as in a motorcycle and car!

mickwa

You need to get ahold of a service manual for the description of how the DN-01 trans works. Its to complicated for me to describe on here. No offence but your not even close. Centrifical force has nothing to do with our trans.
Mick

Gizmo

Site Suporter
You need to get ahold of a service manual for the description of how the DN-01 trans works. Its to complicated for me to describe on here. No offence but your not even close. Centrifical force has nothing to do with our trans.
Mick

And I thought I "had it down into a nut shell" as to how it works! I guess it'll just have to a mystery to me. Such IS life! (As long as the bike GOES, I'll be happy!) And after reading up on the HFT, it would have better if I had used the term hydraulic pressure vice centrifical force for it to work, so I see. Thanks

Vtdn01

Car oil can't stand up to the high revs of a motorcycle engine and will break down faster than MC spec oil

Car oil can't stand up to the high revs of a motorcycle engine and will break down faster than MC spec oil
it has nothing to do with high revs, it has to do with most motorcycles have the same oil for the engine and gearbox in one so the shear factor of the gears breaks the oil down a lot faster than just running through a motor.
but as we have a different style of auto transmition im not sure weather you could or couldn't use car oil?