MPG

russcarver

Well, if you've been following me in my other posts, my MPG has been steadily increasing. My first tank (all stock bike) was a bit over 46 mpg. My latest though (with Givi V35 side cases, Givi E55 TECH back case and the Givi 316S windshield) was 54.1 mpg!! I was surprised as the tank before (ran out of gas on purpose got me only 49.15 mpg [and 196.6 miles]. This last tank was filled up at 180.1 miles and I got in 3.329 gallons! At that rate, I could have gone about 216 miles! Not sure if I'm going to try though.....

--Russ

DN-01 Fanboy

What's your ridding style like? I would have assumed that having a CVT should yield significant MPG if ridden "properly" and am surprised that most seem to get in the mid 40mpg range. On modernvespa in the MP3 forum, others have commented on increased MPG with a larger fairing. I wonder if your side bags or rear topcase improve aerodynamics as well?

russcarver

My trip to work is 5 miles at an average of 35mph and then 5 miles at 65mph and then 3.5 miles at 40mph. Not very much elevation change.

I was told by the dealer that it is not a CVT. It is an actual V-twin. I can shift through 6 gears manually with the left hand controls....

I would think the cases increase drag (at least the side ones). They're quite aero dynamicly-shaped but stick way out from the bike....

--Russ

russcarver

Okay, the next tank was back down to 49.1 mpg. I'll keep my eye on it and see if it stabilizes somewhere. I have nearly 1100 miles on it now.

--Russ

tlyons

Okay, the next tank was back down to 49.1 mpg. I'll keep my eye on it and see if it stabilizes somewhere. I have nearly 1100 miles on it now.

--Russ
CVT: it is a continously variable transmission (watch the RPM when you accelerate; it's not at all like a geared transmission) but not the belts and pulleys system that scooters have.

MPG: For what it's worth, I'm getting 40-45 on a new bike but to be honest all measurements have to be pretty rough; the volume of gas per tank is small. For example, putting an extra 1/2 pint more in the neck of the tank or getting an extra 1/2 pint for free from the handle of the fuel fill could change the result by 3 or 4 MPG on a 2 gallon fill up. ( 1 pint / 2 gallons = ~6% of 50 MPG = ~3MPG roughly).

zebra03

My MPG has been 50 , 40 , and 42 so far . The 50 mpg was a real effort on my part as I was 2 up and trying to milk as much mpg as posible .

Stove Pipe

The wife rode last Saturday, mainly cross-country with a very small amount of city traffic for 116 miles and to top the tank back off it took exactly 2.0 gals, that calculates to 58MPG. Her top speed ranged from 45 to 55 MPH with a top speed of 60 MPH on the open rural 4 lane. She said that's all the wind in the face she wanted with that factory windshield.

zebra03

Zebra

Which windshield do you have?
Stock . When I bought my bike , there was 2 DN-01's there and I had the chance to ride one with the GIVI windscreen . I was not impressed . IMHO it was flimsy , noisy , and the build quality was not great . And that crazy Batbike look ..................wow . But that's just me .

Stove Pipe

Zebra

As I stated in other posts, the wife had a problem with the Givi because as she stated it made her almost dizzy looking through it. He quote: "I feel like I am wearing someone else's prescription glasses".

To our surprise, check the tracking # on the Magical Racing Windshield, it made it to Little Rock yesterday. Not bad since shipped from Japan on 9-21. Should have it Monday?

zebra03

SP

I have never had a bike with a full windshield . The closest is my Honda Reflex . If I was gonna change windscreens , I would like to try a full one .

Stove Pipe

Zebra
I will let you know how this Magical Racing works out for JoAnn. I still got wind with the Givi but I am 6' 5" and if not for the blured vision thru it I think she would have been total out of the wind @ 5' 4". I have a National Cycle V Stream Limited Windshield on my Goldwing and that along with the National Air Wings mounted on the side cowlings, I can keep the wind off unless at interstate speeds with a cross-wind. I feel there would be no hope for me (I've heard that before) in keeping the wind buffet off on the DN-01 if the primary rider, unless I built some sort of custom WS from a larger bike?????

How tall are you? That windload of the chest area sure makes riding alot more enjoyable!! Not to mention getting caught in the rain without a good WS.

Last edited:

Stove Pipe

Zebra

RC62 has some real good videos on You Tube about his Magical Racing Windshield for his DN-01. I think he said he is 5' 9" and it got the wind load off his chest but still he get's some head buffeting. We are hoping that JoAnn being 5" shorter that will not happen to her?

Sorry I guess we have taken this thread of from MPG to windshields. I will start a new thread in this section about Windshields. Again, sorry to the original poster!!

Last edited:

Stove Pipe

The Givi would probably do you good then. Oh, but I do remember you saying in another post you didn't like the Bat-Cycle look. When your arms keep getting tired and you decide comfort is more of a object...maybe that Bat-Cycle look will start looking better? JoAnn & I actually sort of liked that look. But you know what? That's why all cars aren't painted black and have 4 doors.

Last edited:

spyuggy

My DN01 has 900 miles on the clock and I ride two up, with a Givi screen.
Last week, I done 140 miles mixed riding ( mountains, country roads and motorway) I took it up to 75 mph on the motorway for about 30 miles and used 3 gallons, so the average that day was about 48 mpg.
The previous week, I ran through fife, mostly country with a little dual carriageway 150 miles two up+back box, I put in just under three gallons, with an average of 54 mpg.
Hoping to try out another run before winter comes on, I shall let you know.:)