Opinions and/or any published reports on HFT Lifespan

drascombe

Hi All,
I've been a big fan of the DN-01 since it came out. I understand that Honda had to price it as they did because it was designed as a limited production bike to highlight new tech. Now that prices have come down and low mileage DN-01's are entering the market, I'm getting ready to jump. One question remains though that I hope someone here may have some information on.

Based upon my reading of the DN-01 Service Manual, the HFT is a non-serviceable unit, and if it fails, it must be replaced in total. A quick online search of Honda OEM parts showed the HFT unit goes for approx $5,600. I haven't been able to find anything online stating expected/rated life span of the HFT.

If I buy a DN-01, it would be nice to know that the HFT was over designed and wouldn't be a worry down the road because of the price of replacement.

Does anyone on here have any info on HFT longevity?
Love the bike... just curious about how long the HFT was designed to last.

Thank you for your assistance.
Dan

tlyons

Hi All,
I've been a big fan of the DN-01 since it came out. I understand that Honda had to price it as they did because it was designed as a limited production bike to highlight new tech. Now that prices have come down and low mileage DN-01's are entering the market, I'm getting ready to jump. One question remains though that I hope someone here may have some information on.

Based upon my reading of the DN-01 Service Manual, the HFT is a non-serviceable unit, and if it fails, it must be replaced in total. A quick online search of Honda OEM parts showed the HFT unit goes for approx $5,600. I haven't been able to find anything online stating expected/rated life span of the HFT.

If I buy a DN-01, it would be nice to know that the HFT was over designed and wouldn't be a worry down the road because of the price of replacement.

Does anyone on here have any info on HFT longevity?
Love the bike... just curious about how long the HFT was designed to last.

Thank you for your assistance.
Dan

I guess that is somewhat difficult to quantify except I don't recall hearing of one failing. I certainly thought about that before I bought mine and decided to go with it. With so few sold there's not many people to ask.

The HFT design is very similar to the Hondamatic used in the Fourtrax Foreman Rubicon ATV (but not the same as the old Hondamatic motorcycle) and quite a few earlier ATVs. You could cruise the ATV boards to see what the common wisdom is. Of course how people are using an ATV with "Rubicon" in the name might not be similar to how you ride your motorcycle. Here's one discussion:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/honda/315335-hondamatic.html

Edit: someone in that thread is pulling a 20ft hay wagon. Cool.

Last edited:

spamer80

I've seen the guy on the other forum with 100 000km behind. Still no faults. Mine in 70 000 now. No faults too.