Screen Preference

RIDER-59

I've been riding my DN-01 for almost 4 years now and have always ridden with the standard screen fitted. I don't have any issues with this except when I'm riding on tour where I might be doing a few hundred kilometres each day on open roads at a constant 90 klms/hour or more. After a couple of hours, I get very tied in the shoulders and soon after, in the hands, because of the strain of 'hanging on' when my body acts like a 'sail' and no wind protection / deflection from the standard screen.

I'm now having a really serious look making my tour riding more enjoyable before I head off in February for my next big ride with a few friends (Sydney to Melbourne then in a boat across Bass Strait before riding around Tasmania - and then the reverse trip to Sydney).

Screen items I'm considering right now are as follows:
a) Givi
b) Puig
c) Honda Genuine (not so) 'Big' Screen (08R80MEH800/001).

I'd love to know what those with experience with these products, think about which works best in terms of wind management, noise and stability, a similar circumstance.

FYI: I'm approximately 174cm (68.5") tall.

spamer80

С > B > A. Stock high looks the best IMO and offer enough wind protection for 180cm tall rider. Givi offers best wind protection (as many users say) but IMO looks the worst.
You did forget Ermax, Magical Racing and Japanese hard-to-get-cant-remember-name.

Last edited:

senior

My experience with PUIG - You may find my previous comments and photos under General Discussion/New Puig Windshield topic. Right now I am back at the standard windshield solution; PUIG directs the flow into the helmet which is worse than the original solution; then I installed a wind deflector thus the performance improved considerable but looked terrible, more like a scooter which had ruined the beauty of this bike. So, finally, I am back at the small but nice standard windshield but the bike looks super, which was the motivation for buying it ! One aspect worth to be mentioned, I am a week-end rider only !

Last edited:

whitehawk

I have the Givi fitted. It doesn't look as good as the original - the bike's look is low and sleek and the higher screen breaks those lines, but it makes a huge difference to the wind blast. It's the problem with the DN-01 in that it looks great until you make it practical (screen, top box, etc.).
I enjoyed the 'freedom' of the original screen after being used to hiding behind the ST1300 screen and fairing, but after an hour at motorway speeds it just wasn't fun any more. I have been riding 200 mile trips regularly, with over half of that at around 70mph and the Givi screen makes it no problem.

ridenotwalk

Have you thought about an 'add on' screen like the Laminar lip.
Got one on our Dn-01 and it works for the wife when she rides it (5'8") and is not too bad when I ride the bike (6'3")
Doesn't look like a plastic sail and if you get dark tint it'll match the original screen pretty well