% tire tread remaining

dkenney

The cycle shop said that my rear tire was at 40% of tread left. They indicatrd that tire would last another 1000 miles..

My question?

Shoul I replace the tire now for safety or wait until I put another 1000 miles on it.

new dn mama

so,what did you do?I see that was last march ,i,ve just been told mine should go for another 1000 also,that was the front at 7500 mi.,rear was looking better.i keep close track of tire pressure and of course avoiding potholes[even gettin good at swervin round those hiway reflectors,i,m gonna go for the extra 1000 and hopefully it won,t need to be replaced far from home,probly take a few days to order...

Pebbles

I'd go for it but it all depends on your riding schedule and the kind of riding you do.

If you're just doing short day rides of 250 miles or less you should be able to monitor your wear at every rest stop and watch for noticeable deterioration. It's the T-CLOCS safety check refresher :)

If you have a big enough trip coming up soon of 500+ miles or you live in a rainy area you'd probably want to consider changing it soon.

I kind of have doubts over the assessment that 40% tread left = 1,000 miles left. Perhaps they're measuring to the wear indicator.

At any rate I personally run both of our bike tires down to the tread wear indicators and replace shortly thereafter. I'm old enough and make (just) enough that delaying the cost of a tire replacement by a couple weeks/months doesn't justify the risk of tire failure. We're going on 700+ mile trips every month between April-October so I've got to stay on top of those tires!

If you don't know how to check the tire wear indicators- look on the tire sidewall for either a small triangle pointing towards the tread or the letters "TWI". There should be several of them equally spaced around the tire on both sides. Trace your finger across the tire tread from the TWI and you should notice a slightly raised area in the tread grooves. Once the tire wears down even with the TWI you won't be able to pass a state safety inspection. There's the trick of using a (US) penny as an indicator by placing the penny headfirst into the groove. If you can see the top of Lincoln's head the tire has less than 2/32's of an inch left and is worn.

As your tread wears down to the level of the raised area in the groove your tire is also becoming less round and uneven. You should notice more resistance to turning, less comfort in the ride and handling and often a whine or hum particularly when leaning over. If you haven't maintained proper tire pressure or if there were minor tire imperfections these things will show up in the form of cupping or flat spots.

At any rate, you'll want to plan for your tire change in advance with whoever you use. The Dino's tires are a non-standard size and it's unlikely your local shop (or any shop if traveling) will have them in stock.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much!

Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic and Valet for Pebbles (formerly Sukuta Girl)

Last edited:

dkenney

Thanks. The wear bars on the left side are close to even and the middle looks flat. I am going to take day rides this week amounting to around 700 miles. I think I will just put on new ones as soon as I can.

One of the reasons for the wear is that I too a 3600 mile trip around the Southwest US. Often temps were over 100 degrees. I would emagine that high temp is hard on tires

Thanks for your thoughtful response

zebra03

I thought my tire would last another 1000 miles and went on a 80 mile ride . When I was done , the threads were showing . YIKES !

new dn mama

thanks for all the great info[i went to 3 diferent shops-2 of 3 said replace]tried the penny trick,think i,ll go get my new bridgestones[see bridgestone thread],thanks again!

Vtdn01

tires

I find replacing the tires are a lot less expensive than flat bed tuck, hospital, accidents Etc.