Windshield extension

SIXSTR

I have a '09 Honda DN-01 and replaced the stock windshield with a GIVI D316S. The installation was relatively smooth and I notice a significant difference in wind protection. My question is: does anyone know of a windshield extension or add-on to increase the height? I'm concerned about rain protection. Thanks.

HenkHolland

Screen extension Givi

I have tried a spoiler on top of the screen. Takes 5 minutes to install, but the screen is quite flexible so it does not feel solid. However it did do the job and driving in the rain gives you better protection. I am 1,87m so from the neck up this made not much difference for me.

Stove Pipe

I have put Laminar lips on 3 different bikes with amazing results.
I'm going to put one an my Givi windshield when I find the right fit.

http://www.laminarlip.com/

Have you ordered yours?

Wife ordered hers last night to install onto the Magical Racing Windshield. We hope this will give that little extra wind protection for the rides while running on the interstates?

bhamrider

I havn't ordered mine yet. (busy with work) I have the Givi windshield and with it's V shape at the top it will be a harder fit. the last lip I ordered was for a BMW R1100R with a Cee Bailey windshield. I called and talk to the owner and he recomended a lip that should work. He said I could return it if it didn't. I can ride the Beamer at 80 and not feel any wind on the upper half of my helmet!
The Laminar Lip is an inverted airfoil with negative air pressure on the lower side. Like an upsidedown airplane wing. Its cool to see bugs coming and they go up and over.
I'm selling the Beamer because I'm height challenged 5' 7" 29" inseam.
The DN-01 fits so much better.
I'll post pictures when I get the lip. I'm also adding "lowers" to knock the wind off my legs.

Stove Pipe

Thanks Again Bhamrider,

I understand about the Givi and fitting. I wish my wife could have used the Givi but at her height (5' 4") she was looking thru it and it was to quote her; "Looks like I am looking through someone else's prescription glasses, I think it is going to make me sick"! I tried then to get her to let me cut the Givi with my roto zip to a custom height. She decided the Magical Racing was what she wanted.

Your airplane wing analogy I understand, having been in the aircraft business (mainly repair, crash retreival and investigations) for many decades. Along that line, take a Craftsman #2 phillips screwdriver, hold it straight up with the handle up, tip down, take an air hose with a blow nozzle (100 psi or so) and blow it across the top or rounded portion of of the handle at roughly a 15 to 30 degree angle. You can adjust the angle and how much air you you place across the screwdriver with the button of the blow nozzle, this will regulate how far you can fly the screwdriver from the nozzle. I have won a few $5 bets doing this little trick. When you say you can make a screwdriver fly or stand in mid-air, people just can't see it happening. BUT IT DOES! I don't know for an absolute fact but I have been told the hump (cockpit area) on the nose of the Boeing 747 series aircraft creates lift as if the aircraft would have a 3rd wing.

Back to the extension, hers is scheduled to arrive next Wednesday, via UPS. If it works out that will be great timing since we are leaving for the GWRRA Mississippi State Rally in Tupelo early Thursday morning. That is if she decides to ride her DN-01 and not occupy the back seat of my Goldwing?

Stove Pipe

Extension came in today and I got it installed, however when mounting it to the Magical Racing Windshield it left zero gap below it. The extension came up much higher so it allows for much more wind protection now. The trick was that I had to install it with double stick tape to the MR Windshield but it looks like it was made to fit, even the trailing edge shapes were identical. You would never know they were built a half of world apart.

PDiddy

Extension came in today and I got it installed, however when mounting it to the Magical Racing Windshield it left zero gap below it. The extension came up much higher so it allows for much more wind protection now. The trick was that I had to install it with double stick tape to the MR Windshield but it looks like it was made to fit, even the trailing edge shapes were identical. You would never know they were built a half of world apart.
Hi Jim.

Can you add a photo of the windscreen with the Laminar lips on, as I am the same height as your wife and it would be good to see what it looks like.

Which MR screen did you get.? I have a black DN01 so would be interested in seeing a photo of your wife's bike.

Only a new member to the forum,,. so sorry if I'm asking wrong qs..

Slava777

Jim
I've also installed Laminar Lip over Magical Racing windshield. BTW, my lip didn't fit without additional adjustments. Now I have approximately 3/8 inch gap between AR windshield and Laminar Lip in the center. I am 5' 7" and was experiencing high wind pressure into my chest at 45-50 ml/hr. Interesting, pressure was gradually decreasing (yes) to a comfort level with acceleration to 60-65 ml/hr and above. With Laminar lip pressure is gone but I've noticed higher noise in my full face helmet. I am considering to install dual lock 5" 3M velcro strip on both sides of my windshield and play with Laminar Lip height until find comfort level of the nose.
Can you post pictures of your lip installed? I'll post my as well shortly.
Slava.

Stove Pipe

Slava,

On JoAnn's, I attached the laminar lip right down onto the Magical Racing WS without any gap, but she is only 5' 4". I also took two smoke helmet visors and cut the attachment flange and buttons off each of them with the roto-zip then placed them both Right & Left where the LL & the MR leave a little open "V", sort of like side wing deflectors. They got rid of alot of wind coming around each side too. We have to tell others what they are made of since it almost looks as they were manufactured to go there. All (including the LL attachment to MR) done with double-sided 3M (gray) tape.

Slava777

I'm wondering if LL changed the shape of it lately. When did you buy yours? I got mine just couple of weeks ago.
Anyway, I'm gonna move my LL up and down in the spring. Hope I'll be able to lower the noise. Will update this post with results.
Happy Holidays!

twosouls

Lam Lip on MRacing screen

I just put the MRacing screen on my bike and am surprised at the amount of air turbulence that is hitting me in the face.. Riding with the visor open now makes for a bad ride as the turbulence hits me right in the eyes..
When I had the stock screen on, I never felt this.. Thinking of switching back and selling the MRacing one unless I can fix it..
Which LL did you put on your bike with the MRacing screen? Is it the one that was meant for the DN-01, or did you choose a different model as the MRacing screen is a totally different shape..

Thanks for the advice
Gary

Slava777

Hi,
Sorry, I was out of this forum for several month due to heavy workload.
I am still riding with laminar lip on top of MR windshield. This combination is OK for local roads but doesn't do a good job on the highways. It creates heavy turbulence at 60 ml/hr and up (I am 5'6" toll) which makes me dizzy within 15 min. of riding. Not sure if this is windshield problem or helmet. I am using ear plugs all the time but still can hear noise of the wind.
I'm thinking of replacing my MR windshield with GIVI. Any recommendations, concerns?

slam_jack

Hello everyone. I have Ermax windshield installed on my Dn 01

Are there any Laminar lips that can fit this shield?

dndom

givi extension

I recently fitted the laminar lip for the standard screen to my givi. Perfect fit but i did add a nylon bolt to each side for security. Not really convinced about the vortex effect but at the maximum recomended 50% above top of the givi it gives 3" extra height for perfect nose level where screens should be to be effective,lovely! Because wind pressure will try to pop the bottom edge of the givi out from the body panels it needs a small self tapping screw (carefully pre-drilled) added to both bottom edges. sorted!

Last edited:

SARider

Laminar Lip

Did anyone stick with the original screen and add the Laminar lip - keen to know what results if any achieved. Thanks